Sunday, March 31

Super Glue Comparison


I was recently looking for a good super glue for general use – previously I have been using Zap-a-gap a cyanoacrylate glue that works quite well but I found the bottle design to be not so great, the nozzle would clog and the cap was pretty useless – so I thought I’d try out some alternatives. After doing some research I settled on Krazy Glue (so crazy they even misspelled the name) and Loctite Ultra Gel Control.

This is just a quick review but I thought I’d run over the differences between the two products. I’m happy with both of these glues; they are a bit more expensive some alternatives but they are very strong and you only need a little bit of glue for most jobs.

Overview:
The Krazy glue is pretty must a straight up cyanoacrylate glue it’s a liquid glue that dries fast and has a strong bond. The Loctite Ultra Gel Control is also cyanoacrylate glue but it quite a bit thicker than the Krazy glue (hence the gel name) the gel has the advantage of being able to fill gaps and glue surfaces that don’t quite match.

Strength and speed: Both glues are quite good but the Loctite seems to bond almost instantly – this is not necessary a pro as it give you very little time to make any adjustments. The Loctite has also been the stronger of the two in my experience – this stuff really sticks, I find normally it’s the material of the things I’ve glued that will fail before the actual bond itself. For most jobs the Krazy is plenty strong enough but just not as strong as the Loctite.


Nozzle:
Again both glues do well here and are much more useable in my opinion then the Zap-a-gap I used to use. The Krazy glue nozzle seems to be a bit more precise but this could also be due to the glue being thinner. Both glues have excellent caps that actually work they lock with a twist so even if there is glue on the tip of the nozzle you will be able to open it, also the use a very short coarse thread maybe a quarter turn and the tread is at the base of the nozzle so it doesn’t get gummed up with glue.


Summary:
Both glue work very well, their strength is quite amazing actually. I prefer using the Krazy glue but the Loctite is stronger and if you are gluing surfaces that aren’t quite even I’d recommend the Loctite.

Link: Amazon - Krazy glueLoctite